In the Senior Division, students ages 10-18 with prior musical experience refine their skills to the highest professional standards and perform in their own state-of-the-art concert series at various venues around the United States and internationally.
The Senior Division of the National Children’s Chorus consists of the Debut Ensemble, the Premier Ensemble, and Scholars (SATB college-prep). Professional performance venues include Carnegie Hall, Lincoln Center, Kennedy Center, Walt Disney Concert Hall, and more. The Senior Division also performs in an international tour every summer.
Candidates for the Senior Division will be described by the following characteristics:
- Age 10 years or older
- Some to significant choral, musical, solo or vocal performance experience
The audition will consist of the following elements:
- Scales (to evaluate the tone quality of the voice)
- Rhythmic exercises (to evaluate rhythmic precision)
- Pitch matching (to evaluate intonation)
- Question and answer session (to evaluate attitude, personality, manners and behavior)
- Solo Piece—a song of the applicant's choosing that best shows the student's vocal and expressive capability. The piece may be a cappella or with piano accompaniment. If accompanied, please bring music in the correct performance key. Suggested repertoire includes "Caro Mio Ben" or "The Star-Spangled Banner".