Our directors will deliver a live-stream presentation via Zoom on Saturday, May 21st, introducing students and parents to the educational programs of the National Children’s Chorus. Following the video presentation, applicants will then select an appointment time to meet with one of our conductors for a private video audition via Zoom for entry into the program beginning September 2022. Instructions will be e-mailed to all applicants following registration to set up your individual audition appointment.
In the Senior Division, students ages 10-17 with prior musical experience refine their skills to a superlative standard and perform in their own concert series at various venues locally, around the United States, and internationally. Students participate in an exciting array of performances, presenting world premieres and collaborating with an exceptional roster of professional artists. The Senior Division of the National Children’s Chorus, based at the the UCLA School of Music, consists of the Debut Ensemble, the Premier Ensemble, and Scholars (SATB college-prep). Past performance venues have included Walt Disney Concert Hall, Royce Hall, Schoenberg Hall, the Hollywood Bowl, Carnegie Hall, Lincoln Center, Kennedy Center, and more. The Senior Division also travels abroad in an international tour each summer, and in 2022 will launch its highly anticipated Opera Camp in Vail, Colorado.
Candidates for the Senior Division:
- Age 10 years or older
- Some to significant choral, musical, solo or vocal performance experience
The audition will consist of the following elements:
- Scales (to evaluate the tone quality of the voice)
- Rhythmic exercises (to evaluate rhythmic precision)
- Pitch matching (to evaluate intonation)
- Solo Piece—a song of the applicant's choosing that best shows the student's vocal and expressive capability. The piece must be sung a cappella, however a starting pitch may be requested. Suggested pieces include "Caro Mio Ben" or "The Star-Spangled Banner".