Our directors will deliver a live-stream presentation via Zoom on Sunday, May 5th to all registered applicants (a recording from the session will be available to watch if you are unable to tune in live), introducing students and parents to the educational programs of the National Children’s Chorus. Following the video presentation, applicants will then select an appointment time that can be scheduled during the following weeks to meet with one of our conductors for a private video audition via Zoom. Following the audition, we will schedule a final parent phone call with a member of our team to go through details of the program and membership, answering any remaining questions you might have for entry into the program beginning September 2024!
In the Senior Division, students ages 10-17 with prior musical experience refine their skills to a superlative standard and perform in their own concert series at various venues locally, around the United States, and internationally. Students will participate in an exciting array of performances, presenting world premieres and collaborating with an exceptional roster of professional artists with in-person and virtual training in North Brookline on Tuesday evenings. The Senior Division also travels abroad in an international tour each summer, and has the opportunity to take part in the annual National Youth Opera Academy in August.
Candidates for the Senior Division:
- Age 10-17
- Some to significant choral, musical, solo or vocal performance experience
The audition will consist of the following elements:
- Scales (to evaluate the tone quality of the voice)
- Rhythmic exercises (to evaluate rhythmic precision)
- Pitch matching (to evaluate intonation)
- Solo Piece—a song of the applicant's choosing that best shows the student's vocal and expressive capability. The piece must be sung a cappella, however a starting pitch may be requested. Suggested pieces include "Caro Mio Ben" or "The Star-Spangled Banner".