Our directors will deliver a live-stream presentation via Zoom on Saturday, November 6th, introducing students and parents to the outstanding educational programs of the National Children’s Chorus (if the presentation has passed, a recording of the session will be available to watch). All applicants will then sign up for a private video audition with one of our conductors. Instructions will be e-mailed to all applicants following registration to set up your individual audition appointment.
In the Senior Division, students ages 10-17 with prior musical experience refine their skills to a superlative standard and perform in their own concert series at various venues locally, around the United States, and internationally. During the pandemic, students will participate in an exciting array of virtual and in-person performances, presenting world premieres and collaborating with an exceptional roster of professional artists. In-person rehearsals will begin this fall near Downtown Austin in October. The Senior Division also travels abroad in an international tour each summer, and in 2022 will launch its highly anticipated Opera Camp in Vail, Colorado.
Candidates for the Senior Division:
- Age 10-17
- Some to significant choral, musical, solo or vocal performance experience
The audition will consist of the following elements:
- Scales (to evaluate the tone quality of the voice)
- Rhythmic exercises (to evaluate rhythmic precision)
- Pitch matching (to evaluate intonation)
- Solo Piece—a song of the applicant's choosing that best shows the student's vocal and expressive capability. The piece must be sung a cappella, however a starting pitch may be requested. Suggested pieces include "Caro Mio Ben" or "The Star-Spangled Banner".