The New York Senior Division of the National Children's Chorus consists of the Debut Ensemble, Premier Ensemble and Scholars. In the Senior Division, students with prior musical experience refine their skills to the highest professional standards and perform in their own concert series at Carnegie Hall and Lincoln Center. Members of the Senior Division rehearse at either The Opera America Center or The Manhattan School of Music, depending on their level. Senior Division members are invited to attend our annual international summer tours, and also have the opportunity to join the chapters in Los Angeles and Washington, D.C. for performances at venues such as Walt Disney Concert Hall and The Kennedy Center.
Candidates for the Senior Division will be described by the following characteristics:
• Age 10 years or older
• Significant choral, musical, solo or vocal performance experience
The audition will consist of the following elements:
• Scales (to evaluate the tone quality of the voice)
• Rhythmic exercises (to evaluate rhythmic precision)
• Pitch matching (to evaluate intonation)
• Question and answer session (to evaluate attitude, personality, manners and behavior)
• Solo Piece – a song of the applicant’s choosing that best shows the student’s vocal and expressive capability. The piece may be a cappella or with piano accompaniment. If accompanied, please bring music in the correct performance key.