The Washington, D.C. Senior Division of the National Children's Chorus consists of the Debut Ensemble. In the Senior Division, students with prior musical experience refine their skills to the highest professional standards and perform in their own concert series at National City Christian Church at Thomas Circle Northwest. Members of the Debut Ensemble also have the opportunity to perform in concert with the Los Angeles and New York Senior Division choirs at Carnegie Hall in New York City, and at the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels and Royce Hall in Los Angeles.
Candidates for the Senior Division will be described by the following characteristics:
• Age 10 years or older
• Significant choral, musical, solo or vocal performance experience
The audition will consist of the following elements:
• Scales (to evaluate the tone quality of the voice)
• Rhythmic exercises (to evaluate rhythmic precision)
• Pitch matching (to evaluate intonation)
• Question and answer session (to evaluate attitude, personality, manners and behavior)
• Solo Piece – a song of the applicant’s choosing that best shows the student’s vocal and expressive capability. The piece may be a cappella or with piano accompaniment. If accompanied, please bring music in the correct performance key.